Sunday, February 20, 2011

Smokies Report: Things are warming up....

WPLR at Laurel Creek Confluence


Made it out today after my fly tying demo at LRO for a few hours of fishing. Chose to focus my efforts on the smaller waters and tributaries of LR, hoping for less spooky fish and less pressure. Things started off a little slow with a heavy stonefly nymph (for weight) and a zebra midge. Then it happened.......

I saw a lone blue quill ascend from the surface of a pool just downstream from a riffle. So, I immediately switched over to a #16 flashback pheasant tail, and it was game on. In nearly every good looking run I would get a take. My landing-to-strike ratio was way too low, and I was probably close to 20% today.

Had one big fella take my nymph as I drifted it just inches from a rock wall, and he immediately rocketed downstream. Never even got a look at him, as he came unbuttoned pretty quickly. Never saw another blue quill or a single rise. Chose to not use a dry since the water I was fishing had quite a bit of current and would have been a nightmare to have kept afloat with the FBPT dropped 18" below it.

However, I hope this report helps to brighten the mood of some of you out there anxiously awaiting Spring. Here are a couple pics from the day:
My First Fish of the Day

Another shot of the first fish

Another - a little larger

And another


Great day to be out, can't wait to do it again.

Until next time, Tight Lines and god bless.

No comments:


19" Clinch River Brown