Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Finally on the water again....

Well, I managed to get out on the water again today for the first time in what seems like forever. Where did I find water at levels suitable for fishing you may ask. Well, the only place I could find that wasn't pushing as much water as possible was the Holston. And thanks to me having to travel to Missouri this past weekend, I had this beautiful Wednesday off work to go fishing.

I got to Nance's Ferry around noon, and immediately could see fish rising from the parking lot. I got rigged up and walked way upstream to my favorite couple runs in that area, and tied on a sulfur thorax dry. Nothing! So I tried a black EHC, and same result. So I decided to switch over to a beadhead hare's ear and a BHPT dropper. I immediately started hooking up. At one time I had caught 4 fish on 4 consecutive casts. It was one of the most spectacular periods of fishing I have ever had. In a matter of about 1.5 hours, I landed over 20 fish. Keep in mind that none of those fish were larger than 13", but it sure made for an enjoyable day on the water.


After having caught my fair share of trout for the day, I switched over to streamers in search of smallies in the area. I tried out the old faithful olive slumpbuster with some success, and figured it was time to try some new patterns out. So I tied on a new yellow popper I had tied up, and had some strikes. However, I guess my adrenaline was pumping so much that I kept pulling it away from the fish. Later on I also tried a copperhead, hoping that it would be a successful pattern. That did not work out for me, at least on this day.


My next trip I am hoping will be to the Clinch. It seems like an eternity since I have fished my old stomping grounds, and until TVA stops pushing water it will stay that way. I just hope that the spilling over the top doesn't harm the sulfur hatch that appeared to be coming back last spring. Only time will tell, and hopefully I will have a report for you in the next week or so.

Fishing Summary:
Water Temp: 63 deg F
Weather: 75 deg F, sunny
Productive Patterns: BHPT (#1), BH Hare's Ear (#2), Olive Slumpbuster, Olive Wolly Bugger.
Technique: Across and down approach below shoals to rising fish. Also stripping streamers in the tails of large pools, and looking for obvious fish holding structure to strip the fly by.
Total Fish Count: Somewhere around 25

No comments:


19" Clinch River Brown